Monday, June 6, 2011

Saint Petersburg

Today the first of many postcards from wonderful city of Saint Petersburg, thanks to Ludmila!


Beautiful postcard from Ludmila

'The most abstract and intentional city in the world' as Dostoyevsky reffered, St. Petersburg is the second largest city in Russia with the population of over 4 800 000 citizens. Locals calls the city just 'Peter'


The city was founded by Tsar Peter the Great in 1703. It used to be capital of Russia in years 1713-1728 and 1732-1918. The city is located along the shores of Neva Bay and islands of the river delta.The baroccan and neo-classical buildings of the city center are well preserved. Historic City Center is listed as World Heritage Site by UNESCO

The reason why I like the city and I'd love to see it are all the refferences of the city in literature. I'm a book freak and I find russian literature the most interesting. The best book ever written is undoubtly "Master and Margarita" (of course it's my personal opinion). Another really amazing books are "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoyevsky and "Anna Karenina" by Tolsoy. 
St. Petersburg was usually claimed to be artificial, messed up, mechanical... The symbol of disorder and the city where status is the most important thing. It's hard for me to understand looking at the beautiful sights from there. Anyway since I've read "Crime and Punishment" I'm dreaming about Saint Petersburg and I hope one day in the future I'll visit it!

Tharr will be more ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment