Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mailboxes

I love this postcard! I saw it on postcrossing gallery and I liked it a lot. It was wonderful finding this postcard in my mailbox especially that it's official postcrossing one. Lera totally made my day! Thank you very much!


postcard from Lera
That made me think about mailboxes. Can you believe I don't have one? I moved in to the house in the village and I still haven't got a mailbox. Postman just wait for someone to pick it up or he puts them on the fence ;)


The idea of mailboxes comes from France. First of them are believed to show up in Paris in 1653. During the 19th centary they were installed all over the world. Usually there is a standard colour for the mailboxes in every country. In Poland it is red. Also green, dark blue and yellow are popular in other countries. In some countries colour indicates the type of letter that can be put inside- in Poland we used to have green boxes for the letters travelling in the region and red one for all of the others.


Post boxes come with different shapes and sizes. In Russia in the past they were made out of  cast iron which was a protection from being stolen cos they weighted up to 45 kg. The main idea is to protect the letters from weather conditions and from the thefts.

No comments:

Post a Comment