Monday, May 30, 2011

Philippines

Have I already said that I love private swaps? ;) I've got this postcard (and two others) from the Philippines for helping Anna with her University Postcards Collection. I'm really happy and I hope my postcards will get there soon too. Tonight the first of the postcards.

That postcard makes me think about the possibilities that lies in human hands... Banaue Rice Terraces (Hagdan-hagdang Palayan ng Banawe in Tagalog) are the tarracess that were carved into the mountains of Ifugao over 2000 years ago by ancestors of the indigenous people. The Terracess are being called the 8th Wonder of the World. The most amazing fact about them it's that they cover over 10 000 square kilometers and there were built mainly by hand! The back of the postcard claims that steps put end to end would encircle half of the globe. According to Wikipedia traditional farming is still practiced there (rice and vegetables)
The Terraces require a lot of constant care especially because of the climate changes, especially droughts. 
Banaue Rice Terraces are a part of the Philippine Cordilleras Rice Terraces but they are not listed on UNESCO World Heritage Site due to  the presence of many modern structures. They are however considered as the National Cultural Treasure
More information here 



No comments:

Post a Comment